Used Exercise Equipment – What to Look For
Fitness equipment can be extremely expensive. Buying high quality, well made gym equipment can literally cost an arm and a leg, that is why so many people opt to go to a gym instead.But if you know where to fined used exercise equipment for a good price, you can save thousands of dollars and set up your very own home fitness center.
So what equipment should you buy? It depends upon your goals. If you aim to lose weight, then a treadmill should be at the top of your list. Remembering however weight training also leads to weight loss, some strength equipment is also a good idea.
Dumbbells and barbells and single weights to go on them are generally priced low enough to buy brand new from a store, however you could find them even cheaper second hand on eBay or Craigslist.
Most people searching for used exercise equipment however, will be wanting to find some of the more expensive gym-quality machines or cardio machines like treadmills and exercise bikes. These can cost hundreds, or thousands of dollars to buy brand new so it’s worth your while to search for a quality used product.
Here are some quick tips to keep in mind when you’re out looking for some used fitness machines to purchase. As long as you follow a few simple guidelines you should end up more than satisfied with your purchase.
– Check all chains and cables and make sure none are rusted, wearing or in bad condition. This is vital as any cable breakage can be extremely dangerous. Good brands should never have this problem, but if the item has been stored outside in the rain then rust can be an issue.
– Have a go of the machine and ensure that it all works smoothly. There should be no stiffness or creaks. Minor issues may be fixed with some oiling, but if it doesn’t feel right, walk away.
– Check to see if you get the weights with the machine. Most used dealers will sell some weights, but if not it could be an added expense.
– Check to see if the item is still under warranty, and if the seller is providing a receipt. For more expensive items this can give you some peace of mind.
– Pay attention to any electronic displays on treadmills and other cardio equipment. If these are not working properly they can become expensive to fix, and also render the machine almost useless, as you will not be able to track your progress.
There are several outlets which specialize in used exercise equipment. Many of these items come from gyms and fitness clubs where they have been replaced by new models.
These are some of the best ones to pick up, as they are generally well maintained and often quite young, as most clubs like to upgrade as soon as a new model is available.
You will also find that many of these resellers recondition the equipment too and will provide their own warranty. Places such as csmfitness.com have an exceptional range of all types of exercise machines, so does UsedGymEquipment.com and PFC-Fitness.com.
It is possible to get some of the most advanced treadmills and elliptical trainers from such places, at a fraction of the brand new price.
Used exercise equipment can be just as good as buying brand new. As long as you follow these simple tips when searching for your equipment, you can rest assured that you have made a quality purchase that will be of use to you for many years into the future, while saving thousands of dollars in the process.